Home > Council tax > Council tax change of circumstances

Council tax change of circumstances

Tell us about changes straight away. If you don't, you may end up paying the wrong amount of council tax.

Changes you must tell us about include:

  • If you change your address.
  • If someone in your household dies.
  • If someone aged 18 years and over comes to stay with you for a period of time (this may affect any discounts that you are receiving on your council tax bill)
  • If someone moves out (if this means that you now live alone and are over 18 you may be entitled to a single person discount)
  • If you change your name due to marriage or divorce, or the name on your account is incorrect.
  • If your children leave school.
  • If you or another resident of the house aged 18 years and over goes into care or into hospital for a long period, or are away from home providing care for someone else.
  • If someone aged 18 years and over can now be disregarded as an adult resident of the house.

This is not a full list. If you think a change may affect your council tax, please tell us anyway.

Further information

For further information please contact:

Telephone: 01283 508030 - Monday to Friday 9am to 1pm

Email: council.tax@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk.

Write to us: Revenues Team, PO Box 8045, Burton upon Trent, DE14 9JG