What can I do if I disagree with the council tax band for my property?

Council tax banding is the responsibility of the valuation office agency (part of the inland revenue). There are only limited circumstances when an appeal can be made. For example:

  • Demolition of a property, conversion of houses into flats and physical changes in the locality may affect the value.
  • A taxpayer can also appeal within 6 months of becoming a taxpayer or having their band changed, and within 6 months of a band change to a property similar to their own.

If you require further information on appeals against bandings you should contact:

The Listing Officer
Valuation Office Agency
Blackburn House
Old Hall Street
Stoke On Trent

Telephone 03000 505700 or 03000 501501

You can also lodge an appeal online on the Valuation Office Agency website.