Home > Housing and property > Landlords > Tenancies and licences

Tenancies and licences

Most occupiers automatically have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, unless:

  • the tenancy agreement specifies otherwise
  • you are a resident landlord in which case it is an excluded tenancy
  • they do not have exclusive possession of any part of the accommodation in which case they probably have a licence.

Information to tenants

In respect of an Assured Shorthold Tenancy starting on or after October 1st, 2015, the landlord must give the tenant

  • a copy of the Government booklet “How to rent”
    • It can be given as a hard copy or by email to an email address provided by the tenant for receipt of notices
    • A new booklet does not need to be given to the tenant if and when it is updated by the Government, except before the start of a replacement tenancy
  • A copy of the Gas Safety Certificate if the property contains any mains gas appliances
  • The Energy Performance Certificate

For more information see: